Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Mom is so near to departing this world and being in the presence of Jesus. We were there last weekend and it was one of the most precious times in my life.  The first night we were there my mom wanted to be alone with me.  I sat on the edge of her bed and we talked about Heaven.  What we thought it would be like, would she recognize people and she wondered if she would miss us when she is there.  Near the end of our chat, she was very tired.  Mom asked me if she could pray for me.  I knelt by the side of her bed and she put her hands on my head and prayed for me and blessed me.  I was reminded of the blessings in the Old Testament that were given to the children of a dying patriarch.  I felt like I was on  holy ground.

My mom gave me her engagement ring.  She placed it on my finger and said "Daddy and I would find great joy in seeing you wear this."  The first symbol of their love.  The gift given as my dad promised my mom he would always be there.  A commitment that he never broke.  I put it on my finger and remembered being a little girl and wanting to try this ring on.  I used to try it on and imagine a fairy tale life.  The thing is, this ring is a symbol of commitment, not a symbol of a fairy tale life.

My parents did not have a fairy tale romance.  They had a normal and at times difficult marriage.  The walked through seasons of little money, seasons of loss, seasons of many changes and heartbreak, but they walked through it.  Neither one of them walked away.  I have learned from them that you fix what is broken, you keep your word, you forgive and you love not because someone deserves it, but because that is what God has shown us, you laugh when you want to cry, to accept difference and you give and give and give to one another.  You accept flaws and failures in one another and you believe and hope for the best.

Watching my dad care for my mom was like watching young lovers.  My dad tries to do everything my mom wants regardless of how many times he has to do it.  He gives her sips of water and reminds her of funny stories.  He is still making passes at her and she playfully rejects him.  He has done everything he possible can to show her love.  He climbs in her hospital bed and holds her when she is restless.  He gives and gives and gives.  I am amazed at his selflessness and provoked to live my life poured out like he does.

My mom's beautiful ring is now symbolizes something more to me.  Besides its symbol of their love for one another, it symbolizes what they really meant when they vowed before God  "to have and to hold, for better, for worse, in sickness or in health until death do us part."

Well done Mom and Dad, you have given me one of the the greatest gift you could...you showed me what it looks obey God and to keep His commands and to honor your vows.  I love you and know you are one of the kindest gifts God has ever given me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I fear my words of gratitude would cheapen this beautiful gift of an entry.

Your family is in my heart and prayers.

Frederick M. Avolio said...

For some reason, I was poking through old bookmarks. I'd never seen this. I need to connect with your dad. Does he regularly read email or just telephone?

This was great.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP