Saturday, March 10, 2007

MMM My Favorite Nap Spot




Recently, a friend and I were discussing how nice it would be to buy a home already furnished and decorated. Just move in your personal belongings and you're good to go. It got my mind thinking, of course, and I thought about what items from my own house I might miss. I realized I would miss my family room sofas. These things have history. They began their life in a friends house about 13 or 14 years ago. Due to some preferences, they decided to get different sofas. We inherited the "old" ones. We drug them to Denver (the sofas, not our friends unfortunately) and recovered them. That's where their life with us really began. Then, we recovered them again and drug them to Frisco. These sofas have become famous. Our kids argue over who is getting them next, they are the most comfortable couches you could imagine. We can mark how comfortable people are with us by how they use our sofas. Recently Fred found a young friend of ours resting on our sofas and commented to me later "he is getting comfortable with us." Who would have guessed how much these silly furnishings would come to mean to us.

If these couches could speak, I wonder what stories they would tell. They have shared many memories with us. Many peals of laughter, many tears, many, many snuggle times of throwing off the back pillows and laying side by side or just nestling deep in the pillows with one we love. They have heard many conversations of guidance, counsel, comfort, confession, correction, encouragement, of hearts being awakened and hearts falling in love. They have provided a place for thousands of naps for us. been the resting place of sick children and the the place respite on sleepless nights. Many friendships have begun or been furthered while sitting on these babies and soon babies will be tickled and read to on them. They have become a part of the Shaw family, they are definitely worse for wear, but treasures .



As I was writing this blog, my son called to tell me he just bought a sofa for the home he and his soon to be wife, Mindy will soon share. I told him I was going to give him our sofas, but oh well. He groaned. But, really, I am keeping them, I just can't let them go just yet. I will wish for him that the sofa he just purchased will provide at least a fraction of the wonderful memories ours has provided.

7 comments:

Abby said...

I was rifling through marriage care group articles this morning and thought of all those evenings on your sofas, where we discussed those very articles. We began our friendship sitting on the sofas. We eventually learned to settle into them with abandon. You and Fred are like those sofas; comforting friends whose lives are worth sharing and settling into. (I will not digress into matters of firmness and age...) I think you should name the sofas "Fred" & "Diane." Well, maybe not. You might have to give them away some day. We plan to keep YOU - even from miles away.

Diane said...

I miss you friend...

Mindy said...

I like our new sofa, but as soon as we get a house, I will gladly take those sofas any day you wish to part with them! Sometimes on Sundays after church, Ty and I wish for the good old days when he and Meg and I would crash on the sofas with a movie. They're the best---and I'm comin' to them in May!

Diane said...

Mindy,
Your spot is reserved for may or any time I can lure you here.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

"A good couch is not tested on its durability but by its life."
I hope to some day sit in your wonderful couch!
Love you.

Anonymous said...

With all those people sitting in these couches I bet you find a lot of spare change under the cushions!

Had such a great time with you guys in Florida. Hope we can do it again next year. Brian & Lisa are talking about starting to save up now to come next year too.

PS My retraction is now on Erins blog. XXOO

Your sister who dissed her

Katie Virginia said...

mmm... I love those couches! I watched the Red Sox win the Series on those couches... I listened to many wise words from your mouth on those couches... I've watched plenty a movie with my dear Meg girl on those couches ( I think I even spilled a bowl of popcorn on them when I got scared one time...) I hope you NEVER get rid of them :) Love you!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP