Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Favorite Psalm

This morning one of my readings was Psalm 16. This is one of my favorite Psalms. I know it by heart, but love reading it aloud anyway. As I read, an unusual portion of the Psalm hit me. Verse 4 reads "The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply." "Hmm...I think that is true" I said in my head. (I know you are saying "of course it is true, it is scripture.") That became my meditation of the morning. What gods do I RUN after, not look at, not dabble in, RUN after. Sadly, the answer is the same as it has been for a long time. Two idols I often cling to are the idols of food and other people. I seek comfort from these two things regularly and I can testify that the Word is true, my sorrows increase, (so does my backside, he he) because this things cannot truly satisfy. Though both are good gifts from God, neither was meant to become the place I go to when something is out of line. I have a Strong Tower that I am to run to. He never fails and my sorrows will decrease as I gaze upon Him and am reminded that with God as "my chosen portion" (v. 5) there is nothing more I could desire.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I'm snooping at your blog again:)! I love getting a little peek into your world! Thanks for your honesty and the excellent reminder from God's Word. Sure hope to see you when you come to VA this fall.

Katherine M. said...

Dear Diane, Don and I miss you all! I was remembering recently the fun we had on the ski trip. Remember we were in the main room for the night? You guys are so fun, and we miss you. Come to Virginia soon! I think your little Violet is so beautiful. Hugs, Katherine

Diane said...

Katherine, We are coming in October and would love a date with you and Don. I also need your email address, you have been on my mind often lately.

Unknown said...

Diane, just wanted to say that I love you....what a good reminder to run to the Rock....so often I run to the phone or to the frig.....instead of to my heavenly Father where I can find mercy and grace to help me in my time of need. Hugs to Freddie!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder. How often do I run after food and people for my contentment, joy, fulfillment and everything else that makes my world complete. So very thankful for the gospel that reminds me my sins are forgiven and His great mercy is brand new for us every day. I miss you,

Katherine M. said...

Hi Diane, I wasn't sure if I should put my email on here, but I going to do it. It's 0158krm27@cox.net. We are doing well. Rebekah, Brian, and Duncan live around the corner, and Abbey and Steve just a few minutes away. Rachael, of course, is home with us. We are loving this season. Rebekah is blogging:www.throughalenstoasmile.blogspot.com Love you!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP