Saturday, November 03, 2007



From Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, Nov. 3, morning:

"Prayers are instantly noticed in heaven. The moment Saul began to pray the Lord heard him. Here is comfort for the distressed but praying soul. Oftentimes a poor broken-hearted one bends his knee, but can only utter his wailing in the language of sighs and tears; yet that groan has made all the harps of heaven thrill with music; that tear has been caught by God and treasured in the lachrymatory (a bottle of tears) of heaven. “Thou puttest my tears into thy bottle,” implies that they are caught as they flow. The suppliant, whose fears prevent his words, will be well understood by the Most High. He may only look up with misty eye; but “prayer is the falling of a tear.” Tears are the diamonds of heaven; sighs are a part of the music of Jehovah's court, and are numbered with “the sublimest strains that reach the majesty on high.” Think not that your prayer, however weak or trembling, will be unregarded. Jacob's ladder is lofty, but our prayers shall lean upon the Angel of the covenant and so climb its starry rounds. Our God not only hears prayer but also loves to hear it. “He forgetteth not the cry of the humble.” True, He regards not high looks and lofty words; He cares not for the pomp and pageantry of kings; He listens not to the swell of martial music; He regards not the triumph and pride of man; but wherever there is a heart big with sorrow, or a lip quivering with agony, or a deep groan, or a penitential sigh, the heart of Jehovah is open; He marks it down in the registry of His memory; He puts our prayers, like rose leaves, between the pages of His book of remembrance, and when the volume is opened at last, there shall be a precious fragrance springing up therefrom."

This was in my devotions today. what a comfort for us all. At my weakest moment, He hears, He sees and He cares. I love the line that says "
The suppliant, whose fears prevent his words, will be well understood by the Most High. He may only look up with misty eye; but “prayer is the falling of a tear.” Oh, what an incredibly loving God we serve.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

So amazing that you quoted that today just as Betsy Ricucci quoted it to us today in our ladies' meeting...the Lord must want to really impress that word on my heart! Thanks my dear friend! I miss you more than these words can express! I am sending up prayers for you...and the Lord hears! Love you!

Diane said...

Michelle, Yes, I'm very encouraged that he does hear! I miss you too!

Jessica Rockey said...

Thanks for that word. I've been so discouraged lately, that as much as David tries, he just can't understand my pain completely...and whata he does understand.... he just can't comunicate it so well. He wasn't meant to be my Savior and I need to remember that when I want to depend on him too much.
What a sweet comfort to that the tears I shed are precious to my Lord.
Even when I to tired to even shed a tear... he hears the cries of my heart.

erin said...

I didn't want to go to the funeral on Saturday b/c I knew I would cry and cry and cry...and be ashamed becuase I hate being emotional. But Lori Ann encouraged me to think of the family not myself...so I went. I read M and E everyday so i read this that night and it was encouraging to me too that he takes note of every tear...they are not silly or foolish to him. I liked the line "tears are the diamonds of heaven."
Thanks for the picture, btw. Cute!

LiAnn said...

Diane...that was so good to read. Lately, the thing that makes my heart vacillate from being OK to being completely overwhelmed is Emerson's dietary constraints and Olivia's eczema that keeps her (and me) up at night. Even when no one else knows I'm awake in the middle of the night trying to comfort one baby or standing in my pantry with my head on my hand trying to figure out what to feed the other...it's a comfort to know that God has heard and knows and will be there the next time. I loved your favorite line too...thank goodness we don't need to have Roget's Thesaurus memorized to make a sufficient request for God's mercy...I'm pretty good at sighing. :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP