Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Steadfast Love Wondrously Shown


Last night seemed like any other night for us. Meg was tired from a busy weekend and went to bed around 9:30. We were having a lightning storm that brightened the sky. Around 10:15 Fred heard Meg breathing heavily and being restless so he went in to check her. The flashing of the lightning was affecting her. A little later I heard her having a seizure. As I sat there on her bed the words from Psalm 31 ran through my head, "But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'you are my God.' My times are in your hands." I coached Meg through, we have a routine now, I try to calm her and assure her that it is OK, when it is over I say the same thing "Are you OK Baby girl? it's OK Baby Girl, you are alright." Rarely can she respond or remember, but just in case she can, we talk to her. I sat with her for a while and watched her sleep peacefully. The lightning storms, both outside and in her brain had subsided. I felt the presence of the Lord with me, calming me, assuring me and reminding me that He is able to keep us from all harm. Our times are in His hands and nothing and no one can change that. We can rest in Him and trust in His divine sovereignty that all is well. The care we show to Meg pales in light of the care He shows to us.

This morn as I did my devotions the same Psalm was in my reading. A different verse in the Psalm read "oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have STORED UP for those who fear you." My heart takes comfort that His goodness is so full and abundant that it needs to be stored up. He is good, even in the storms and His love is steadfast even in our afflictions and the distresses of our souls (vs 7).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love and miss you dear friend. We are praying for Meg and for you. Hugs and kisses!

Diane said...

Thanks Cheryl, we surely feel the Lord carrying us! I love you and can't wait for the fall to see you again!!

Kate Van said...

Thank you for this encouraging post. It is good to be reminded of God's care for his children, especially during trial.

Jessica Rockey said...

Hey Mrs. Shaw! I'm finally online. It's been delightful to see family pictures! I wish we could've been out west for the wedding. Last time we were out in Denver it seemed so strange not to see you guys. Let Meg know that I'll be praying for her. I know it's hard to go through trials like that, esp. being so young. I love C.H. Spurgeon's book, Beside Still Waters. Does she have it? The Lord has used those words tremendously in my life, during times of pain and despair. Love you guys!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP