Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thy Word Have I (want to have) Hid In My Heart






As I began this New Year, I listened to some teachings on basic biblical disciplines. Piper is a great source, at the end and beginning of each year, for teaching on prayer and the Word. I was freshly provoked to pray more by his teaching on Dec. 28th and then very provoked to work on scripture memorization on the following week's teaching. In it, John Piper recites Scripture by memory for probably 20 minutes maybe more! Amazing! I am sure he could have gone on longer. I would have lasted about 90 seconds and all of mine would have been like "children obey your parents.." I recently studied Ps. 119. There are many verses in this one chapter, that teach the importance of and power in knowing God's word.

I, also, have often recalled a story my dear friend Arlynn told me many years ago. She shared with me that as her grandma's health was declining and her mind fading, the word of God was coming forth from her grandma's mouth. Arlynn challenged me to consider the thought that some day we may not have full control of what we say (as if I do now!) and what is in our hearts will surely come out. I shutter to think of every thought of mine being laid bare for all to hear. But, if it is God's word that is stored in our hearts, then what a blessed time that will be. For when I can no longer think clear enough to watch my words and my thoughts flow into words regardless of what they are, I want my words to honor the Lord.

I, also, think of the great benefit it would be to me right now to have God's word ever with me to equip, guide, comfort and defend. If every time I had a condemning thought, a worry, and unkind judgment etc. I faced it with the Word, think of the victories that would occur. Sin would be stopped dead in its tracks. Instead of all the things I could think about, I would think of how great and mighty my God is. How kind and sovereign He is. How He has given me everything I need for life and godliness. How He delights in me, loves me and empowers me. There is so much I could say here.

So, I am looking into a memorization program. I think I might use Piper's Fighter Verses, but I am not sure. Any suggestions? What have you found helpful?

6 comments:

Callie said...

I like the "Hide the Word" cds that Mark Altrogge put out. They may be a bit cheesy, but I have memorized a bunch of scripture through song.

The Troyer Family said...

D-What great wisdom! Let us know what you end up using. I have a Mark Altrogge cd too. There is something easy about memorizing stuff that is put to music. Like the long vowel song I just memorized with Sophie :).

Jody said...

I am right there w/ you in wanting to press on in doing more proactive and disciplined to faithfully work on this aspect...and have been praying for years that should my mind go what will come forth will bless the Lord and others, and not the opposite! Oh the stories I could tell you of the many oldsters in our life both positive and negative in this aspect! ;) I have heard good things about the Navigators memory card system that's been out for a long time also, but not sure how availabe it is anymore. Look forward to hearing what others recommned. I love the songs too, but also want something else to go w/ that. Great post! Glad too you had a good retreat. Wish I was coming in Mindy's suitcase...hug those babies for me!

my so called life said...

Diane,
I love reading your posts. You always share such wisdom! I've been really convicted recently about my prayer life and it's nice to know that others struggle in this area as well. All that to say that I've found Beth Moore's book Praying God's Word extremely helpful. It combines both my weaknesses prayer and Scripture memorization!

Rebekah said...

My kids love the song/scripture technique, but I confess, I must not be one of those people who can walk and chew gum. If I am trying to remember the melody AND the words, I cannot meditate or really mull over the words. Then I discovered I am a visual person and my own little stick-figure drawings go along way to helping me commit things to memory. Thanks for sharing and challenging.

Michelle said...

I do the song thing with the boys,but then when I try to just say it I end up doing it to the tune...not quite what i am going for. Rob has done the Fighter Verses (years ago) and actually got through the whole thing, I think...he loved it and thought the system was really helpful with the reviewing and all. Hope that helps. I've never been very consistent myself. If I write it out myself on a notecard it really helps me. My trouble is always remembering the reference though.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP