Monday, June 29, 2009

Gimme It!!!!

"And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came up to him and said to him, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." Mark 10:35

I laughed out loud! Imagine the thoughts Jesus must have had. Did he smirk and feel like I have when the kids would say "Mom do you promise to say "yes" to what we are going to ask you??" Every mom knows that they are for sure going to say "no" to whatever it is, if we were going to say "yes" we wouldn't have to make the promise to say "yes."

So, I was chuckling at these 2 guys and then of course, I begin to see myself in them. Though I do not actually use those same words, I think it is often the posture of my heart. I want what I want, what I think is best. I want my prayers answered now and in the manner I find most pleasing. How many times have I prayed "Lord, Please just do this......(fill in the blank)"? Oh, the gentle sting comes and I realize that I think I know what is best. I am reminded, again, that His will is perfect and so is His timing. That I really want His will, not what I think will work. I realize how often my prayers are self-centered and narrow. I trade God's big, great, amazing Kingdom for my tiny, narrow wish. I think God has so much more for us than we could ever ask or imagine, why would I try to limit that by deciding what I think I want. I think I would be much better off to pray "Lord, because you love me so much and desire to pour out your kindness to me, take this situation and do as you please. I know you have a great plan, better than any plan I can conjure up. I can't wait to see what you do!!"

5 comments:

hosanna said...

thanks...this is a great reminder!

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Diane. That's very convicting... should have remembered that last night when i was crying because I wanted things to be a certain way. I know God has great things in store but I need to wait on Him to reveal this in His timing. Oh the wait... Teach me, Lord, to wait!

Anonymous said...

I would add to that prayer, "Lord, help me to remember this the next time I ask you to say yes."

Love you,
Kay

Diane said...

Stephanie, Seems like He is teaching you to wait! An answered prayer!!

Wendy said...

Very timely for me...thank you!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP