Thursday, February 07, 2008

Quinoa (KEEN-WA)


Yummy! Tonight I made Quinoa for the first time. Prior to going gluten-free, I had never heard of this grain. Now, I love it! It is one of the many new things we are experimenting with. It is originally from Peru and Bolivia, but since 1982 it has been grown in the US. It is packed with nutrition and flavor. Quinoa has as much protein as milk and loads of calcioum too. It is also filled with iron, B vitamins, zinc and potassium. I was anxious to make it and see if we could tolerate it since brown rice can get boring sometimes. I made like a pilaf out of it. It was so good! A must try. Here is the recipe:

Quinoa Pilaf Recipe

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup finely-diced carrots
  • 1 medium red pepper, chopped
  • 2 cups quinoa, rinsed thoroughly through a fine sieve
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • kosher salt or Maldon sea salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 3 minutes. Add garlic, carrots and red pepper, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Stir in frozen peas and salt and pepper.

Serves 6.

I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did.

8 comments:

Life at the Mandl's said...

I love Quinoa! I grew up eating it. Quinoa is great in soup and also in bread! Yummm!! Makes me want to go to Bolivia. Wish I was eating at your house!

Diane said...

Nanc, Do you have any good recipes for Quinoa? Can you email them to me?

erin said...

Oh, I'm glad you posted the recipe. We liked it!

Laura said...

Well it sure looks yummy! I'll have to give this one a try.

Nettester71 said...

Quinoa is very good. My sister gotr me started on that. My other favorite is Barley.

Anonymous said...

where do you buy it?

Kay Lyman - the girl you used to know in Westminster!!! Where've you been, lady..

Judy said...

Ahhh, looks good. I wonder what the kids would say if I made it...

Anonymous said...

Did you buy stock in a Quinoa company? You could be a company spokes-woman! I read your description and feel like I want to go cook it up right NOW!!!
Always use that power for good, Diane...
Your bud, Carrol

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP